Teachers from all over the world can take this part-time (two and half year’s duration), five semesters Master’s degree programme, which is studied entirely online. Developed and delivered collaboratively by the British Council and the University of Southampton, it offers postgraduate level study in key areas of current theory and practice in Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching.
The course allows practicing English language teachers to reflect on their professional experience and update their theoretical and pedagogical knowledge to an advanced level in a flexible and well-supported learning environment.
- Duration: The taught components of the programme are studied over two years (four semesters). The dissertation is written during semester five.
- Start dates: September and January
- Closing date: 31 July 2019, 23:59 UK Time
- Fees: Total programme fee - £8400 (to be paid in three equal payments of £2800 over the duration of the programme)
- Dissertation lenght: 15,000-20,000 words
- You will obtain a master's degree from the University of Southampton, one of the most prestigious universities in the UK and a member of the Russel Group
- It allows you to work and study at the same time
- You will have personalized attention through a tutor
- You will engage in online discussions with experienced teachers from all over the world
- Your English level will improve
- You will have access to the University library and its stock of e-books and journals online
This programme is divided into 180 credits. 120 credits are obtained from taught modules with the remaining 60 credits relating to the dissertation. Students can expect a weekly commitment of 10–12 hours of online study, chatroom seminars and online forums, supported by 10 hours of private study.
To participate in this programme you must have the following requirements:
- Submit your online application form and supporting documents before the application deadline.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in the area of English, teaching English, linguistics, modern languages or any related discipline.
- At least two years of verifiable professional experience related to the teaching of English.
- A personal statement.
- Two academic references. Suitable referees may include a former tutor, supervisor or employer.
- English Language proficiency. Qualification at level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference, at least, by means of any of the following instruments whose validity must be less than two years:
- IELTS 6.5 overall (Academic), with minimum of 6.0 in each section
- Cambridge English: First (FCE), - Grade A
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE), Grades A-B
The selection process is competitive and is the responsibility of the University of Southampton. The results will be notified to each applicant via email. Interview may be required on a case by case basis to assess suitability of course.
Apply before 31 July 2019, at 23:59 (UK Time)
How to apply?
To apply for a postgraduate course please visit the How to Apply page.
For detailed guidance on the online application process download our application guide.